Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. Our code intelligence platform helps developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. By enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our business is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced exponential growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code intelligence yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it–just like Google). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
? Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a location requirement for this role. However, your working hours must overlap with US + CEST for at least 20 hours/week.
Why this job is exciting
As the Engineering Manager for our Delivery team, you will help bring Sourcegraph to enterprise-grade readiness across the board. You will lead our exceptional all-remote team to achieve ambitious objectives to make Sourcegraph easy to deploy, scale, monitor, and debug for both us and customers. You will be solving challenges in user environments.
… Within one month, you will…
- Lead a team that runs self-hosted deployments, from the small hobbyist experience to the large corporate customer’s first official setup. Your deep experience with both modern and legacy architectures will help you tailor the Sourcegraph installation and setup process to a wide variety of specialized needs for enterprise, while remaining easy and accessible for hobby devs.
… Within three months, you will…
- Deliver smart, streamlined solutions to our customers solving common on-premise configurations and debugging challenges
- Work directly with our support teams to help customers troubleshoot, debug, tune, and configure Sourcegraph deployments
- Work with our engineering teams to enable new initiatives through infrastructure as well as enhance our systems for performance and scalability
- Work closely with the Sourcegraph Cloud team to ensure that they are also using best practices
… Within six months, you will…
- Help Sourcegraph level up in all phases of deployment, operations, and incident response, including bringing best practices in-house for building stable and resilient systems, including on-premises at very large customers with custom configurations and architectures. Your team will not initially be large enough to perform all this work; hence, you must work closely with the rest of the Engineering organization to ensure that everyone is following best practices.
… Within one year, you will…
- Have hired and retained exceptional people to make our team even more representative of the world’s population.
- Collaborate with product and engineering leadership to develop the next set of ambitious goals that your org should work towards.
- Develop a clear technical and execution strategy to achieve that next set of goals.
This role will challenge your leadership skills, requiring you to drive initiatives in a fully-remote company that is distributed globally. You will be a high-agency actor, finding the right balance between disturbing other important work and moving the needle on operational excellence. It will not be an easy problem to solve, but as the ideal candidate, you have already done this many times at other companies in many configurations.
- You have 2+ years leading an engineering team
- Experience with Kubernetes is a requirement. Experience with Bazel is desirable, along with building and deploying Go-based microservice architectures.
- As the ideal candidate, you will have deep familiarity with the Google SRE operations model, as well as professional experience with the subjects covered in the Google SRE book. Experience with alternative ops models, such as those employed by Amazon, Netflix, and other high-velocity companies with large scale and deep technical stacks, is also desirable.
- You’ve worked directly with customers to help them troubleshoot deployment and various other environmental issues.
?”? This job is an M3. You can read more about our job leveling philosophy in our Handbook.
– We pay you an above-average salary because we want to hire the best people who are fully focused on helping Sourcegraph succeed, not worried about paying bills. You will have the flexibility to work and live anywhere in the world (unless specified otherwise in the job description), and we’ll never take your location or current/past salary information into account when determining your compensation. As an open and transparent company that values equitable and competitive compensation for everyone, our compensation ranges are visible to every single Sourcegraph Teammate. To determine your salary, we use a number of market and data-driven salary sources and target the high-end of the range, ensuring that we’re always paying above market regardless of where you live in the world.
– The target compensation for this role is $205,000 USD base.
– In addition to our cash compensation, we offer equity (because when we succeed as a company, we want you to succeed, too) and generous perks & benefits.
Below is the interview process you can expect for this role (you can read more about the types of interviews in our Handbook). It may look like a lot of steps, but rest assured that we move quickly and the steps are designed to help you get the information needed to determine if we’re the right fit for you… Interviewing is a two-way street, after all!
We expect the interview process to take 5.75 hours in total.
– Introduction Stage – we have initial conversations to get to know you better…
– Team Interview Stage – we then delve into your experience in more depth and introduce you to members of the team…
– Final Interview Stage – we move you to our final round, where you meet cross-functional partners and gain a better understanding of our business and values holistically…
Please note – you are welcome to request additional conversations with anyone you would like to meet, but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.