Would you like to help to create the future of a product used by thousands of businesses and millions of consumers? Phorest powers over 9,500 hair and beauty salons using our software in the UK, Ireland, Germany, Finland, the USA and Canada.
Our system touches every point of the salon experience. We have the in-salon software desktop application, Phorest Go (the native staff application), online bookings website for salons, and custom native apps per salon. In a typical month, Phorest processes 3 million appointments and we send over 3 million SMS and 4 million emails. We process 200k online bookings per month and over 150 custom built white label native apps.
The Data Platform team at Phorest is responsible for providing simple, reliable, fast, and secure access to the data that powers our business. We manage the data stores, pipelines, and processes that contain and govern data at Phorest, and we make ourselves as accessible as possible to ensure that anyone in the company who needs data to do their jobs can get it.
Who we’re looking for:
A software engineer who’s comfortable with the technologies we use, and working on a close-knit, collaborative team. We work to meet the needs of our users throughout the business, so a multi-functional, collaborative, and service-minded attitude is key. We value good communication, empathy, and initiative in all of our engineers and employees. Some qualities specific to this role include:
- At least 3 years of professional experience with object-oriented software design – (ideally with JVM based languages or Python).
- Experience with distributed services which can communicate in a fault-tolerant manner using both RESTful and message-driven APIs.
- Experience with relational databases and designing efficient data structures.
- Familiarity with containerized and serverless applications.
- Discipline and appreciation of working with CI/CD processes.
- Experience with infrastructure as code.
- Familiarity with common software design patterns.
- Experience with, or willingness to learn how to operate our AWS based infrastructure and services.
- Experience working in an agile, product-led environment.
- Be motivated to improve quality and productivity, to maintain technical innovation and excellence.
- Someone that challenges the norm and isn’t afraid to voice their opinion.
- Someone who owns their work from start to finish – engineers are expected to deploy and monitor the areas of the system they work in.
- An enthusiastic and effective communicator who is comfortable with technical and non-technical audiences alike.
- AWS Cloud (RDS, MSK, S3), Kafka (Streams, Connect)
- Experience with Big Data technologies (Redshift, Snowflake, Presto)
- Experience working remotely and with a fully distributed team and company.
What you’ll do:
- Participate in building a brand new cloud data platform, spanning over multiple data sources, using both batch and stream processing.
- Make sizable contributions in collaboration with the rest of the team, ranging from building pipelines and data models to maintaining monitoring and alerting.
- Solve problems of automation, resilience, performance and other challenges in distributed data processing environments.
- Meet with partners from across the company to help facilitate their data needs, and listen to them on how to make our platform better.
- Be a major contributor on medium-to-large sized initiatives.
- Proactively identify and resolve future technical risk.
🧘 Your wellbeing is important to us – we provide private healthcare, an employee assistance program and a free online GP service (WebDoc).
💰 As part of our Financial Wellbeing, we provide competitive Compensation, an Employee Share Purchase Scheme, Pension, Life Assurance, and Income Protection.
🚵🏿 We help you travel by providing a bike to work scheme as well as tax saver transport tickets.
🍼 We care for your family and provide Enhanced Maternity and Paternity benefits.
🌳 We grow our own timber! We provide a great learning environment including an extensive onboarding program.
🤓 Career development is important to us. We even have our own in-house Learning and Development/Business coach and many online resources including LinkedIn learning.
😎 We don’t believe in formal dress codes. We prefer casual things.
Want to learn more about Forest and our interview process?
Check out nothingventured.rocks for our blog and Insights on building an evergreen company from the team here at Phorest.
Phorest is an equal opportunities employer and we value diversity at our company. Phorest does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other category protected by law.
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don’t necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We’d love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.