As a Junior Support Advisor, you will help Shopify merchants start, adapt, and grow their businesses. You will play a crucial role in making the above a reality for our merchants every single day. This work is incredibly rewarding and equally challenging. Our merchants have amazing stories filled with highs and lows, frustrations, and triumphs. It is in these moments and many in between that you will have the opportunity to make an impact.
All Junior Support Advisors will go through an intensive 5-6 week onboarding program where they will learn the ins and outs of ecommerce, the digital economy and what creates a successful business online. After onboarding, Junior Support Advisors will work directly with businesses to provide guidance in their move to digital and beyond.
Your journey as a JSA at Shopify will begin with a 5 month contract with the possibility of an additional 4 month contract. After completing both contracts (9 months total), a successful JSA will then transition into a permanent role within the Shopify Support org and beyond. This role will be 40 hours a week on a rotating schedule. To better understand what that means please read through this doc.
Through our program, we’re specifically prioritizing the hiring of groups who face unique barriers to entry into the Canadian workforce.
You’ll get to
- Learn human-centered customer support methods
- Partner with experienced customer support folks to respond to inbound and outbound needs of entrepreneurs
- Join a Support organization that has always been set up remote and will allow you to thrive from anywhere within Canada
- Help entrepreneurs and businesses from across Canada succeed online
- Adhering to a daily schedule that includes a mix of simultaneous chats, emails, and professional development time.
- Ensuring merchants have a quick response time by staying on top of your assigned tickets with same-day ticket review.
- Learning to act as a business coach and to think about the merchant’s business holistically when offering solutions.
- Completing essential follow-up documentation after each interaction.
- Ensuring privacy and security practices are followed at all times for both merchants and Shopify.
- Engaging in human conversations with merchants to identify and resolve issues, and provide coaching/growth opportunities for their businesses.
- Offer needs-based solutions, not pushy sales.
- Advocating for merchants and the Shopify platform by communicating with stakeholders.
- Owning your own development through reflection, reviewing past interactions and preparing to discuss growth opportunities with your lead in regular 1:1 meetings.
What’s your story?
- Have you recently graduated and are looking to apply your fresh skillset to positively impact Canadian entrepreneurs?
- Are you someone who is early on in your career and hungry for accelerated growth?
- Are you new to Canada and eager to learn new skills and make an impact in the Canadian workforce?
- Are you someone standing at a crossroads in search of a meaningful new direction?
- Do you have a passion for helping people with an interest in working with businesses and tend to get deeply involved in the things you do?
- Do you have an interest in communications, marketing, social media, entrepreneurship, problem-solving, design, or technology?
If any of these sound familiar, the Junior Support Advisor program could be just the right fit for you! We’ll give you the training and mentorship, you’ll tackle the learning and personal growth, and together we’ll have a positive impact on entrepreneurs everywhere.
- Available to work full-time (40 hours per week) on a rotating schedule with varying 8-hour shifts starting anytime between 7:00 am – 11:00 am in your local timezone. This means some days your shifts could be as early as 7am-3pm, and as late as 11am-7pm. This includes working weekends and holidays on a rotating basis. More information regarding the work hours expectations of the role can be found here.
- A stable internet connection with at least 25Mbps download speed and 10 Mbps upload. Not sure? You can check your speed here.
- Live and have legal authorization to work in Canada.
- Have an appropriate remote work set-up such as a quiet space, stable internet connection, and a back-up location in case of issues with the primary location.
- Have strong reading, writing and communication skills.
- Willingness to learn all about entrepreneurship, care deeply about people support and enjoy having genuine human conversations.
- Possess a high level of resourcefulness, patience and empathy.
- Able to navigate difficult interactions with professionalism.
- Are committed to continuous growth and learning. You understand that every challenge is an opportunity and you get excited about learning new things.
The wage for this role is $17/hour.
We have progressively higher expectations from our Junior Support Advisors across their tenure, and this is illustrated with an increase in hourly rates between the first and second contract in this program. Should you be invited to sign a second contract, the wage would increase from $17/hr to $19/hr.
To help answer some of the questions you may have, please check out our FAQ page for the Junior Support Advisor role.
As there are multiple positions, this posting will remain live until all positions have been filled. Successful candidates can expect to hear back from us within 2 weeks of application.