Whatnot (YC W20) is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, and CapitalG. We’re one of YC’s top companies and one of the fastest growing marketplaces ever. We’re laser focused on creating an exceptional software company, team, and place to work. You can read our principles here.
Our mission: enable anyone to turn their passion into a business and bring people together through commerce. We’re building the future of ecommerce; an interactive community where creators can make a living off their passion.
Did we mention we’re growing? In January 2021, Whatnot had 10 ambitious employees. We started 2023 with 350+ employees and are continuing to grow. We’re hiring forward thinking problem solvers across all functional areas. We recruit thoughtfully, can adapt quickly, and are scaling fully remotely.
The e-commerce experience has been static for 20+ years and is one of the largest opportunities for disruption in the startup space today. Livestream shopping is a $300B GMV market in China and has grown 100% YoY. Retail is a $5T market opportunity!
- Help us launch a world-class live shopping platform into new categories, such as clothing, luxury, and sneakers, by contributing to the development of both category-specific and platform-wide features and infrastructure.
- Deliver useful, fun, trusted, and seamless user experiences to help people find what they’re looking for, enjoy their time on Whatnot, and share with their friends.
- Help recruit and grow successful sellers to Whatnot, by working closely with our marketing & operations teams to identify seller needs, pain points, and opportunities, and designing and implementing effective solutions.
Curious about who thrives at Whatnot? We’ve found that low ego, a growth mindset, and leaning into action and high impact goes a long way here.
As our next Full Stack Engineer you should have 3+ years of development experience, ideally in a fast-paced or high-growth technology company, plus:
- Have a proven track record of building and launching high-quality software products that reach end-users, with an eye for design, and empathy for user needs.
- Possess strong technical expertise within a domain such as web development, app development, machine learning, or backend development.
- Demonstrate a desire and ability to quickly learn in new environments, new languages, or new domains, and adapt to changing requirements and constraints.
- Have experience scaling products from 1K to 1M users, and have a deep understanding of the technical and operational challenges associated with high-traffic and high-scale systems.
- Have experience working within e-Commerce, live video, or development of other real-time experiences, and are familiar with the unique requirements and opportunities of these domains.
- Competitive base salary and stock options
- Unlimited Vacation Policy and Company-wide Holidays (including a spring and winter break)
- Health Insurance options including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short term disability & Long term Disability
- Whatnot covers 99% of employee premium costs, and 75% of dependent care premiums for Medical
- Dental and Vision sponsored 100% by Whatnot for employees and dependents
- Work From Home Support
- Laptop provided by Whatnot and home office setup allowance
- $450 work-from-anywhere quarterly allowance for cell phone and internet
- Care benefits
- $1,350 quarterly allowance on food
- $1,500 quarterly allowance for wellness
- 16 weeks Paid Parental Leave and gradual return to work
- $5,000 annual allowance towards Childcare
- $20,000 lifetime benefit for family planning, such as adoption or fertility expenses
- Professional Development
- $2,000 annual benefit to invest in your professional development
- 401k offering for Traditional and Roth accounts provided by Betterment
- Employer matching contributions of 100% of up to 4% of contributions on base salary
Whatnot is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, parental status, disability status, or any other status protected by local law. We believe that our work is better and our company culture is improved when we encourage, support, and respect the different skills and experiences represented within our workforce