Would you like to help to create the future of a product used by thousands of businesses and millions of consumers? Phorest Salon Software powers over 9,000 hair and beauty salons in the UK, Ireland, Germany, Australia, Finland, the USA and Canada and the platform processes 7 million appointments a month for hair and beauty consumers.
Our system touches every point of the salon experience – from the in-salon software appointment calendar and CRM with a fully integrated marketing suite, to staff apps to payments. We are also the window through which the salon provides their end customer with an amazing experience through custom native apps, eCommerce and online bookings. Why? Because we want to help salons find their dream clients and get them back more often and spending more.
Phorest is the number 1 salon software brand for premium independent salons in those markets and one of our next goals is to allow our customers to easily receive payment from their clients using our software.
Over the last 18 months we have taken significant steps to integrate our product into the payments space. Our goal is to ensure Phorest can facilitate any type of financial transaction that occurs between our salons and their end customers. This is a technically complex and challenging domain, and one which has a huge potential impact for the future of the company. We’re really only just getting started, and we have lots of exciting ideas around payments that we want to bring to our product.
You will be a key member of a multidisciplinary team, designing and building the future of our multi-tenant SAAS platform. You will join a small group of highly skilled engineers in building exciting new features and extending our platform. Given we are a small product group, you will have freedom and control to shape our product vision without bureaucracy or politics.
You will be working on a large distributed system (event-driven and restful services running on Docker and Serverless) solving complex problems in an environment where we look to continuously improve and learn. We work with feature flags and continuous delivery to ensure our work gets to production as fast and safely as possible.
What you’ll do
- You will work with other engineers, product owners and designers to turn customer problems into features which solve those problems.
- You will get to own the entire lifecycle of a feature. This includes activities such as producing technical design docs, writing and shipping code, planning the rollout to customers and being responsible for that feature in production.
- You will spend the majority of your time on technical work, delivering clean, testable code, and will be continually looking to learn from both company and industry engineering best practices.
- You will provide support to other engineers on your team, via activities such as pair programming, code reviews, and generally doing what you can to remove any blockers.
- You will be working with a team of experienced engineers who will provide mentorship to you in order to help you grow and learn.
- You will have the opportunity to shape how we solve technical problems, contributing to key architectural decisions within our product.
- You will gain exposure to the payments industry, including integrating with the leading payment processing platforms in the tech space.
What we’re looking for
- Strong proficiency and at least 3 years of professional experience with object-oriented software design – (for example Java, Kotlin, Ruby)
- Discipline and appreciation of working with TDD / CI processes.
- Experience designing distributed services which can communicate in a fault-tolerant manner using both RESTful and message-driven APIs.
- Someone who wants to own their work from start to finish. We don’t have an operations team and engineers are expected to deploy and monitor the areas of the system they work in.
- Familiarity with common software design patterns.
- Experience within the domain of payments would be beneficial but not mandatory.
- Experience with, or willingness to learn how to operate our AWS based infrastructure and services.
- Experience working with relational and NoSQL databases and performance tuning.
- Experience working in an agile, product led environment.
- Ability to inspire and motivate, to improve quality and productivity, maintaining technical innovation and excellence.
- Someone that challenges the norm and isn’t afraid to voice their opinion.
🧘 Your wellbeing is important to us – we provide private healthcare, an employee assistance program and a free online GP service (WebDoc).
💰 As part of our Financial Wellbeing, we provide competitive Compensation, an Employee Share Purchase Scheme, Pension, Life Assurance, and Income Protection.
🚵🏿 We help you travel by providing a bike to work scheme as well as tax saver transport tickets.
🍼 We care for your family and provide Enhanced Maternity and Paternity benefits.
🌳 We grow our own timber! We provide a great learning environment including an extensive onboarding program.
🤓 Career development is important to us. We even have our own in-house Learning and Development/Business coach and many online resources including LinkedIn learning.
😎 We don’t believe in formal dress codes. We prefer casual things.
Want to learn more about Forest and our interview process?
Check out nothingventured.rocks for our blog and Insights on building an evergreen company from the team here at Phorest.
Phorest is an equal opportunities employer and we value diversity at our company. Phorest does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other category protected by law.
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don’t necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We’d love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.