This is a remote position and we’re considering candidates in the UK, Sweden, Germany, and the Netherlands.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join the Grafana Frontend team. Our managers take an active role in creating a productive environment for our engineers; be it through removing blockers and impediments, facilitating cross-team collaboration and understanding, or by aiding the team in helping themselves by constantly improving and refining their working practices. You’ll be responsible for managing a team of distributed engineers working across a variety of systems and helping them to perform at their best.
In Grafana Frontend, our squads own the core user flows in Grafana OSS, including but not limited to Dashboards, Explore, navigation, visualizations and more. The majority of our work is on OSS Grafana but we regularly invest in paid features as well and focus on a Cloud first delivery model. Our main goal is to increase adoption and with that the overall value that our product delivers to our users. Through investments in the areas of navigation, data exploration, usability and accessibility, we have a keen focus on our users and their success. Close collaboration with Product, UX, Docs and Customer Experience is something you will regularly be engaging in.
This is not an exhaustive list, and we know that people can have a wealth of knowledge in their individual backgrounds. A list of some of the things we think would be ideal in this role are:
- The core focus of the role is people. Technical skills are desirable in order to understand some of our stack and manage a highly technical team (we primarily work with Go on back-end development and TS/React on the Frontend).
- Delivery is another part of your responsibilities. You are able to work with your team to set milestones, clearly communicate delivery timelines and help remove impediments.
- You will work closely with stakeholders and product managers to ensure the product roadmap is defined and up-to-date. You collaborate with others to ensure the product direction aligns with our company mission and define OKRs to demonstrate that.
- You focus on quality above speed of delivery while encouraging a short feedback cycle and experimentation.
- You have a strong software engineering background and are capable of engaging in technical conversations and challenge teams to arrive at strong technical decisions together.
- You are comfortable working with engineering teams who have a strong sense of autonomy in their decision making, be it technical or product focussed.
- While you’re great with people and adept at managing relationships, you still keep up-to-date with the latest technical trends and shifts in order to maintain and enhance your understanding of the challenges your teams face.
What a typical EM’s day-to-day at Grafana Labs looks like:
- Thrive: We have regular and frequent 1:1s to ensure that our direct reports are motivated, happy, and engaged.
- We also coach, mentor, and advise. Upwards, sideways, and every-which-ways.
- Progress over Perfection: We provide continuous feedback to engineers to ensure that they can add value, while trying to maintain a high standard.
- Seeking Diverse Perspectives: Gathering a range of opinions from both engineers and management to define upcoming features, contributing to design documents, and attending and contributing to open discussions.
- This is also reflected in maintaining headcount– we spend quite a lot of our time reaching out to URM’s to try and diversify the voices here in Grafana, every day. We work with our PeopleOps team closely to accomplish this.
- Say:Do Ratio: We ensure features are well-defined and ready for development, and then set the wheels in motion to make sure they are delivered.
- Respectfully empowered to start up new initiatives, contribute to on-going ones, and to encourage and nurture others to do the same.
- OSS is in our DNA, and as such working with the community is something that happens regularly for us. We default to transparency and try to be as open with everyone.
Our hiring process:
- Video call with a Talent Manager (30 mins)
- Technical Interview with 2 engineering leaders (60 mins)
- Peer Interview with 2 engineering leaders (60 mins)
- Management Best Practices Interview with 2 engineering leaders (45 mins)
- Do you still have questions for us at the end? Want to talk to a member of one of our ERGs (Employee Resource Groups)? We can also schedule a call for that!