What makes us different? Kraken is a mission-focused company rooted in crypto values. As a Krakenite, you’ll join us on our mission to accelerate the adoption of cryptocurrency so the world can achieve financial freedom and inclusion. For over a decade, Kraken’s focus on our mission and crypto ethos has attracted many of the most talented crypto experts in the world.
Before you apply, please read the Kraken Culture Explained to learn more about our internal culture, values, and mission.
As a fully remote company, we have Krakenites in 60+ countries who speak over 50 languages. Krakenites are industry pioneers who have a long track record of building premium products for professionals and institutions as well as newcomers to the space. Kraken is committed to industry-leading security through our products like Kraken Pro, Kraken NFT, and Cryptowatch, with a focus on world-class customer support and crypto education for all.
Become a Krakenite and build the internet of money!
About the Role:
This role is 100% remote.
The accounting manager will be responsible for supervising and managing the accounting department and all areas of financial reporting. We are looking for someone to develop and maintain accounting principles, best practices, and systems for collecting, analyzing and reporting information. Must have a strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). You will also be responsible for managing the accounting team, helping audit and ledger preparation, and supporting managers across teams with financial procedures and internal controls. You would be reporting directly to the Senior Accounting Manager.
What You’ll Do:
- Review and approve business unit transactions before they are recorded in the general ledger
- Reconcile G/L accounts and review G/L account reconciliations prepared by others
- Take ownership of business unit general ledgers
- Ensure that business unit transactions are recorded in a timely, accuracy, and complete manner
- Prepare business unit financial statements
- Interact effectively with Corporate and business unit finance staff, (A/P), Treasury and legal, human resources and compliance
- Prepare, manage, monitor, review and update as required, Standard Operating Procedures for finance functions
- Assist in the implementation of internal controls and accounting processes and procedures including documentation of process narratives, process flowcharts etc.
- Assist with the adoption of new U.S. GAAP accounting standards including coordinating with accounting process owners, developing implementation plans, and executing process, system, and financial reporting disclosure changes
- Provide technical accounting support including performing accounting research, communicating recommendations to internal stakeholders, and implementing accounting processes for unusual and/or complex transactions on an ad hoc basis
- Interact with internal and external auditors
- Perform intercompany accounting including reconciliation of intercompany balances, identifying and resolving gaps between assigned entities and respective counterparties globally
- Work with Treasury and other departments to ensure proper accounting treatments of complex transactions
- Additional duties and responsibilities as required
Who You Are:
- Minimum Degree in Accounting with at least 7 years of relevant working experience (financial reporting and/or public accounting), CPA preferred
- Preferably some years of audit experience
- Background in accounting for financial services, fintech, banking, or an exchange strongly preferred
- Experienced with accounting for complex business entities especially a parent organization with multiple subsidiaries
- Collaborative, innovative, flexible, and adept at building relationships across the organization
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Attention to detail and ability to evaluate technical accounting concepts and complex transactions
- Ability to work independently and adjust priorities to achieve accurate and timely results
- Excellent presentation skills, including strong oral and writing capabilities
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel including macros, pivot tables, VLOOKUP, INDEX MATCH, SUMIF
- Google and Microsoft suite proficiency required
- Working experience with ERP systems
- Familiarity with SOX is a plus
- Experience or knowledge in cryptocurrency is preferred