Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
Before you apply, consider if you can:
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion
- Embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
About the role
Shopify is an ambitious company. We help millions of merchants achieve independence through commerce. We’ve also grown very fast, which brings opportunities to take on bigger challenges than ever. But it also means we need to be deliberate and organized to build successful products at scale. This is what Operations is about: we keep thousands of people focused, coordinated and moving as fast as possible so Shopify combines the impact of giants with the speed of a startup. This Marketing Operations role sits within the Growth team, which owns lever discovery for products across Shopify and partners closely with the marketing discipline.
Growth’s mission is to empower the most merchants to succeed, and we deliver on this mission by bringing together Marketing and RnD teams, all supported by our high performing Operations team. Supporting the Growth team means you’ll be able to contribute to a holistic view of our business and portfolio; how decisions are made to bring new products to market, how we build content and market across digital and offline channels, and how we then report back on our success and iterate on those initiatives.
In your role, you will be focused on building and running the systems and processes that enable marketing-focused teams to deliver impact. This includes visibility into goals, tracking against these goals and processes to make sure we’re making the right decisions for our merchants. This role will require you to build strong relationships and partnerships with teams of different disciplines, in many regions and at all levels. This is an opportunity to use your leadership, organization and prioritization skills to contribute in making commerce better for everyone…everywhere!
If you’re a hands-on leader that loves seeing strategy turned into shipped initiatives, thrives in a fast-paced environment and want to nurture a culture of experimentation, this role is for you.
You’ll get to do things like:
- Develop systems and approaches that accelerate Growth teams from insight to outcome.
- Develop a deep understanding of how teams work, what’s in their way and how to help them succeed.
- Work with the Growth organization, Revenue organization, and Data teams to build tools and frameworks that will help teams define and track their roadmap, objectives and key results.
- Analyze data and surface insights to our leadership to understand where we’re making bets, how the projects are executed, how they’re performing, and where risks exist.
- Collaborate with other Operations functions and leaders on resourcing, roadmapping, and investment planning decisions.
- Build relationships with other organizations at Shopify to raise visibility into priorities and streamline opportunities for collaboration.
- Work with teams and stakeholders to solve delivery risks and roadblocks as you see them.
- Develop robust rituals and systems to accelerate global teams from insight to outcome.
- Share context on what the teams are working on with the rest of Shopify, to recognize and manage project dependencies, and to always know what’s shipping, by when, and for whom.
- Prioritize and lead multiple special projects as needed to drive optimal performance of the team.
- Keep a pulse on the health of the team and surface these insights to our leadership team.
You’ll need to have:
- Experience in solving complex business problems preferably in a tech environment.
- The ability to create order out of chaos by asking tough questions, producing actionable insights and making recommendations to senior leadership that are appropriate for a given context.
- An ability to develop and iterate on minimum viable processes, and influence team behaviors to facilitate collaboration at scale without compromising on speed, trust, and flexibility.
- Strong analytical skills and comfort with data including to ensure we have the right reports and tripwires in place.
- Deep operations and growth strategy experience in a high growth SaaS company or leading product-led technology organizations.
- Experience with Growth, Marketing or Media Planning
- Experience using a variety or martech tools – ideally focused on self service acquisition
- Experience influencing and leading teams – e.g. building empathy and high trust relationships across teams; working actively to identify and solve potential problems; removing obstacles to keep teams and leadership focused and effective.
- Strong communication skills and an ability to drive change at scale via indirect leadership. This includes experience coaching and mentoring others.
- Extraordinary attention to detail. If you don’t self-identify as hyper-organized, this isn’t the role for you.
- An ability to thrive in chaos, think quickly on your feet and be resourceful to get shit done – must have a willingness to learn.
- A strong focus on outcomes, not just action. You understand what drives the business and how marketing and technology can accelerate it.
- A can-do attitude; no task will be too small or big for you.
It’d be great if you also had:
- Experience with product management and a background in performance marketing is a plus.
- Strong knowledge of project management methodologies.