We are seeking a Strategy and Special Projects Lead to join our team. The ideal candidate will have 3-5 years of experience working in a fast-paced private sector environment, ideally in a consulting or finance role, with a proven track record of delivering high-quality strategic analysis and recommendations. The Strategy and Special Projects Lead will report directly to the Chief Strategy Officer, although will work to support the wider senior leadership team to drive strategic initiatives that will help our business achieve its goals. This role will sit within the Strategy & Business Development team, and working on fundraising pitches and proposals is key to the financial health and success of the organization.
Responsibilities will include:
Business Development / Fundraising
Successfully raising funds to support Maisha Meds’ activities is a core function of the Strategy and Business Development team, and being able to develop clear, strategic proposals is a key pillar of the team’s work, and will comprise around 50% of the role.
- Developing the ideas for new activities, and leading on the production of high-quality proposals and supporting materials to funders, which may include document or slide deck formats.
- Developing detailed budgets to support proposal submissions
- Building external relationships with funders and other relevant stakeholders in the sector to build our network of opportunities.
Quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Leading in-depth research and analysis on healthcare market dynamics, competitive landscape and operational challenges to identify strategic opportunities and risks, and designing potential interventions or solutions to meet these challenges.
- Lead financial analysis and modeling to support business case development and investment decisions.
- Leading quantitative and qualitative analysis to support discussions and funder engagement around implementing a results-based financing approach to funding Maisha Meds’ work
Development of strategic initiatives and special projects
- Working collaboratively with cross-functional teams across the organization to develop and implement strategic initiatives, including working closely with the COO to lead the analysis and design of special operational projects to ensure the organization is able to meet our ambitious growth targets.
- Deliver research, recommendations, and guidance on scoping new program areas for the Maisha Meds subsidy (loyalty) program, to include identification of health needs; potential impact; feasibility; and funding landscape. Work closely with the Director of New Program Incubation to ensure seamless handover of ideas that are successful in securing funds to initiate.
Funder & Board engagement
- Prepare and deliver presentations to the senior leadership team to communicate findings, insights, and recommendations on strategic questions.
- Lead on preparation of materials for quarterly Board meetings, working with teams across the organization to ensure relevant and accurate content is included for Board review.
- Lead preparation of materials for funder updates on ongoing programs, working across the business to secure timely and high-quality inputs for donor reporting.
- Work with the communications lead to ensure that all external messaging and communications are aligned with organizational strategy and aims.
- Mentor and train junior team members to ensure their professional development and growth.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics, Finance, or a related field.
- 3-5 years of experience in a consulting or finance role, with a focus on strategic analysis and planning.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a demonstrated ability to rapidly assimilate data and develop insights and recommendations to be used in both short-term decision-making and strategic planning.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively communicate complex information to a variety of stakeholders, both internal and external.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint, and other analytical tools (Maisha Meds use the equivalent Google suite of programs).
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with cross-functional teams.
- Strong critical thinking skills and ability to problem-solve independently.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience of the healthcare sector in Africa desirable
- If you are a highly motivated individual with a passion for strategy and a proven track record of delivering results, we encourage you to apply.
Why You Should Join Us
- On a roll: recent funding, new countries, exciting growth in our funder and customer base…things are rolling.
- Great team: Founded, managed and backed by successful veterans of Stanford School of Medicine, Google, Safe Boda, Lions Head Global Partners, I&M Bank. We have technologists, clinicians, and economists working side by side to solve difficult problems.
- Great funders: We’re backed by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID Development Innovation Ventures, CIFF, WHO FIND, and Pfizer – their funding provides us catalytic funding to fundamentally change the way health outcomes are funded in the private sector throughout Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Large addressable market: Disrupting a massive, growing $50+ billion market for healthcare payments for low-income patients.
- Great customers: Serving low & middle income segments sustainably.
- Impact: A fun and exciting start-up culture that empowers its people to make a meaningful impact.